The rules of business are different from the rules of family. In a family business, emotions can get in the way of proper business decisions, and that’s a tough road to navigate. Family business counseling helps you learn how to preserve family relationships both personally and professionally.
Couples running a business never get a break! It’s a lot of togetherness without much mental or physical space. There is no disconnect between work and family, and that’s challenging. Family business counseling can help you set boundaries with each other, as well as lay the foundation for improving and strengthening your working and personal relationships.
You’re ready to retire and let the younger generation take over, but… Have the adult children done a great job working in the company, but you are reluctant to let go of control? Does the younger generation have new ideas, but you are reluctant to accept the change? In these scenarios and more, family business counseling provides the tools for communicating calmly and respectfully about differing opinions while still maintaining a solid family connection. Each generation – each person – needs to be heard and understood before any problem-solving can happen. Listening and understanding will facilitate a more productive and peaceful transition.
You run a business with your sibling, and the dynamics that existed growing up are carrying over into adulthood and affecting your business relationship. Perceptions that one adult child was – and still is – better than the other can really create problems. Family business counseling ensures that everyone understands how the generational bias of roles, expectations and relational patterns can interfere with the success and future growth of the company.
Family Business Counseling Will Help You:
- Clarify the roles of all parties
- Learn communication skills so that all parties feel heard and understood facing conflicts and problem-solving
- Understand what the founders want their legacy to be and what values they want to pass down to their children in terms of running the business
- Support the founders as they grieve the loss of their “baby” when they pass it on to their babies!
- Support the retiring founders as they set goals and make plans for what they will do to find fulfillment in retirement
- Honor the legacy of the family business and understand the sacrifice it took to create and grow it
- Understand how family dynamics across the generations have influenced how people think and behave
- Find the balance between respecting old traditions and accepting new ones
- Understand how family dynamics from childhood are impacting adult children interactions and learn new ways of perceiving and interacting with each other
- Learn how to keep the family relationships intact regardless of what is happening with the business
Running a business with family can be both productive and satisfying with the right tools. Click here to set up a session or simply ask more questions.
Austin, Texas Family Business Counselor, Dr. Pam Monday
1101 S Capital of Texas Hwy,
(Loop 360 @ Lost Creek Blvd.)
Austin, TX 78746